Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What being successful means to me...

.
What being successful means to me…
By
GosselinGirl
I can’t define what success means for you in your life, but I can tell you what it means to me. Success is a joy I feel when I know that I have touched someone’s life in a special way. It is an emotion for me, not a state of how much I have, but how much I have given to others without asking anything in return.

When I give of myself freely to others, that is when I feel most successful. Whether I am helping someone less fortunate than I am, donating money, or feeding a child in school that is hungry, it is at these moments that I let go and feel truly free. Money is just an object, but giving to others is what truly makes one successful from the heart.

As I look back in my life, I don’t want people to say…oh she has a lot of money to her name. Yes, it would be great to be rich in my life. To not have to worry about anything. Not too many of us can ever really say that we are free from the many burdens that life puts on us each day. Even the rich have their own problems. So, as I look at my life, I have to ask myself what makes me successful and different than others? The answer is a simple one for me…what have I done in my life that has left an impression or made a difference in someone else’s life?

Success to me is when I give of myself freely. Talking to a stranger that I never met. Helping a child that struggles to learn to read. Giving food to a complete stranger because they are hungry. Doing something nice for someone without ever wanting anything in return. Smiling at a person as I walk by them. Acknowledging someone who otherwise has been forgotten. It is at these times, when I step outside of my own needs and give to others that I feel truly successful in my life. That I know that what I stand for and believe in is all that I really need in life to be a success. Putting aside what the world would define as being a true success and looking inside of my heart to see how I will be remembered. What kind of person was I? What was my contribution in life? A good character is what truly makes one successful…not money, a big house, or other things. Success comes from the heart. It is a feeling that you have at the end of the day when you know you have given your best to all those you have passed by along the way. Your touch, your kindness, your thoughts, and your help.

All the money in the world can’t make me successful. All the degrees I have can’t make me smarter. All the objects and things that I call my own can’t make me happy over a lifetime. It is embracing the feelings in my heart, my dreams, and giving to others that truly tell me each day that I am a success in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment