Wednesday, June 22, 2011


Please Daddy…Don’t Take My T-Bird Away
By
GosselinGirl


This is a fictional story.

I was born in 1934, in Flint, Michigan. Our city was known as the city that nurtured General Motors and the United Auto Workers   . Everywhere you looked everyone was driving a new car. It was a great place to grow up. I have fond memories of living in this wonderful city. Memories that still to this day, bring a smile to my face.
Go to fullsize imageGo to fullsize image
My name is Barbie Dahl. Yep, you said it right. Why my parents decided to call me this, I will never know. I guess it sounded cute to them at that time. However, it was a name that came with a reputation. A reputation that I was determined to never live down.
Having parents that are wealthy does have its advantages. I was able to keep a good tan year round, have my hair always styled, and wear the best clothes money could buy.
Go to fullsize image
In the summer of 1950, I turned 16 years old. My parents always doled great gifts to me every year. This year was no exception. My parents planned a big birthday surprise and invited all of my friends over for a pool party. I wasn’t allowed to go snooping in hopes of finding my birthday present early. So, I waited for my big surprise.
Go to fullsize image
After my guest sang happy birthday to me, my Daddy handed me a set of car keys. He told me to go look in the driveway. Much to my surprise, there was a brand spanking new red convertible T-Bird sitting in the driveway. Little did he know at that moment that someday he might have to take my T-Bird away.
Go to fullsize image
Well, it didn’t take long for me to break that car in. Back in the 50’s it was very popular to hang out at the car hops. I was a lucky girl because there was a drive in just down the street from Beecher High School. It was called Walli’s and all the local cute guys hung out there.
Go to fullsize image
One day, I told my Dad that I was going to the library to get some books for school. Once I got in my little red T-Bird, somehow I forgot about the library and decided to cruise by Walli’s. I can remember having the top down and just cruising down Saginaw Street listening to some great 50’s music.
Top 15 best 50's songs
The Best Love Songs of the 50s
50s Classic Jukebox Songs
** let this load and then you will see a whole list of songs just click on anyone you like and it will play the music
 
 
 
At the drive in, I met up with all of my friends. Of course everyone loved my new car. I was a very popular girl, and with a name like Barbie Dahl, I didn’t have a problem keeping a boyfriend. After eating a Coney Island hotdog and sharing a milkshake with my new guy, I decided to cruise some more. I wanted to have some fun, fun, fun, until my Daddy took my T-Bird away.
That was the best summer of my life. I was young and carefree. With the top down, I drove my red T-Bird all over Flint. I was so proud of that car.
Go to fullsize image
Go to fullsize imageGo to fullsize image
Just to let you know…my Daddy never took it away. In fact, I still have my beauty today. Every once in awhile, when I am feeling a little bit lonely, I go out to the garage and pull my red T-Bird out into the sunshine. I let the top down and I turn up the music really loud. Of course my neighbors just look at me like I am crazy. Being 77 years old and still reminiscing about days gone by. Every once in awhile…if I am really lucky…The Beach Boys will sing their song Fun, Fun, Fun and instantly I am taken back to a time and place that was so much fun. Sweet memories that still make me smile.
Fun Fun Fun by The Beach Boys
 
the beach boys - fun, fun, fun

No comments:

Post a Comment